Monday, December 10, 2007

Advent II

This has been a a week of opposites! The music at the La Novella concert was breathtaking, so clear, so beautiful! It took me a while to get my country-music-listening ear to be able to hear the clear German chorales, but, oh when I did...!

Then, struggling to get all the tasks done for my classes, some Christmas shopping done, dealing with the Texan's holiday depression, and all the sadness of this time at our beloved church.

Our dear Senior Warden Janet is dying; they were not expecting her to get through last night. We had our beloved and wonderful Christmas English Tea yesterday afternoon as Janet was in the process of making her transition. She was the motivator and prime mover for this wonderful tradition of ours. It was bittersweet for me, having sat at the tea last year with our Rector's wife, who we also lost shortly thereafter. Our wonderful English/Aussie ladies are exhausted, numb, and heartbroken. And so am I.

Lord Jesus, are you sure that you want to be born into this broken world of ours? The beautiful Baroque music reminds me that you are coming. Oh, how we need you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was proud of all of us for celebrating at the Tea - just as she would have wanted us to do...
She is well-loved and will be sorely missed.

Mary Beth said...

When I got home, Ken asked, "was it sad?" Certainly NOT! What sort of party would it have been if we had been SAD!? Outwardly at least!? Stiff upper lip, keep up the side, pip pip!

I was grateful that I had long ago invited my work friend to go to the tea with me - because I really did want to lie in bed and mope that afternoon. And I don't think Janet would've approved of that one little bit!