Saturday, December 1, 2007

Almost Advent

Ok, I can tolerate the Christmas Carols now - tomorrow is Advent 1, the beginning of the preparation for Christmas. My conference is over, there are only two more weeks of school(dead week and finals),and best of all, my Wonderful Neighbor came over today and helped me decorate! The Advent candle is all set to be lit tomorrow; I know how I am going to put out Christmas lights that I can put up, most of the shopping is done, and I should actually have time to make cookies this year. Hurrah!

As I went through all the decorations and picked out the ones to be put out this year, I had the most wonderful memories of my mother and father and Christmases past. I remember the one where my cousin Elaine and I were about 5, heard Santa and the elves putting out the presents, crept out where we could see shadows, and KNEW that Santa was there. My favorite grown-up Christmas was the one where we all went to Denver when my kids were about 10 and 12, both my brothers and families and my mom were there, as well as my cousin who came through the 16" snowfall in order to make Christmas dinner. We were snowed in for days!

Next week will start the wonderful musical events put on by Annunciation which I get to share with the Texan, who has taught me to truly love good music. We are so blessed to have an outstanding music director who has truly developed our whole church into a place of great music. This has become an important part of the holiday tradition for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to learn the art of choosing which decorations to use & not... It's always been all or nothing which feels overwhelming more than festive. Maybe I'll be inspired by you this year & only do some...
Yay for the last two weeks of the semester - mine is done - I only had final papers, no finals - but I do not envy the profs having to read 30 page papers...

Mary Beth said...

Did you see the great DMN article on La Novella? Link's at my place! See you at the concert!