Saturday, January 19, 2008

Family Ties

I had a thrill this morning when I opened a box which I had ordered. In it I found eight perfect cups and saucers to match my father's grandmother's china pattern. I am named for her, and I am the one who inherited her relatively rare Haviland Star white-on-white china. For nearly all of my childhood the china sat in boxes in my parents' closet. (My mother had no place to display it, and I had rough and tumble little brothers.) She gave it to me before she died. I use it occasionally now for special dinners. I am the first person who has added to the collection as my mother died before the advent of internet shopping. I found myself feeling very connected to my great-grandmother this morning and feeling very greatful for the gifts which were passed on to me. I know that these are only "things" but they represent continuity with people who passed on experiences and values which have shaped me into who I am. Thank you, Anna Patten, Edith Patten Jessup, and Mickie Jessup.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Oh, how lovely. Wonderfulness, your new addition. I have my step great grandmother's china. I love it.

Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

And it will be lovely connection to the next generation as well - it will feed their souls as it has yours.