Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bless Them All

I have had so much rest over the holidays that I found myself eager to go back to work. It's been nice to get caught up on the pile of paperwork that I had let slide during the Recovery time. I still have one report to write, and a syllabus to modify, then I will be ready for the new semester which starts on the 14th. Hooray!

Elastigirl is finishing her Ordination Exams today so I have a bottle of champagne on ice for her. I can't imagine doing days and days of written exams...do you suppose that Jesus had to take exams before God let him preach? At any rate, E will be an outstanding, compassionate, organized priest assuming that the Powers That Be see fit to ordain another woman in this diocese. As frustratingly conservative as our Bishop is, at least he is not careening off the tracks as is our neighboring diocese to the west.

All this schism stuff makes me sad and mad. I cannot believe the massive egos and self-rightousness that comes out of the schismatics. As if any of us have the right to turn away from each other and say the equivalent of "God loves me best and I know what God wants and you don't!" I only know that God is bigger and grander than all of us squabbling Christians put together and that Jesus said "love one another as I have loved you." I love that song that says, "Bless them all, the long, the short, and the tall...." That seems like a good motto for 2008, "Bless them all..." But maybe it should be, "Bless Us All..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The champagne was a lovely touch!! What a great surprise on my doorstep. You are such a great support to me...

BTW - I wanted to tell you that the color you were wearing today was great with your complexion - dusty pink. I noticed it most at the Communion rail, so it was not the time to voice it then.

Mary Beth said...

Hee hee!

Hey, SW, did you say you have friends at St. Martin in the Fields in Dio FW? I have a dear friend who has just moved to FW and has been going there! They have a great website, I love their welcome statement: http://www.stmartininthefields.org/Welcome/Welcome.html

Anonymous said...

Please check my blog