Sunday, April 20, 2008

Blooms

Spring in Texas is so fleeting most years that we miss it altogether. Not this year!
We have had lots of spring storms, winds, a few tornados, and oodles and oodles of spring flowers. To my joy, my new iris bed has escaped my black thumb and is putting out lots of blooms. Lavender and white ones, purple and cream ones, light yellow, brilliant yellow, even a delicate pink! And there are several more to open this week. Last year I went to the iris farm near us in Argyle, bought about 20 iris bulbs, planted them, and crossed my heart that they lived. Dolly Dog ate two of them, actually, just dug them up, nipped at them, and threw them for hours, after which they were just shreds of what might have been bulbs. But the others made it, and 13 out of the 18 have bloomed or are putting out blooms. Don't tell me iris are hardy and that you can't kill them... I can kill any plant! But these are beautiful! I'm so proud.

No comments: