Sunday, April 13, 2008

Love is All Around Us

The Texan is back home after his hospital stay for a bad UTI. He is still somewhat delusional but better than he was when he went in. Yesterday, he seemed really clear, but they cut his IV intake without upping his liquid intake and he regressed today. I felt that it was really important to bring him home so he didn't get "hospital psychosis" on top of everything else. I have fulltime coverage for him all this week, and I can manage him at night. So far.

I went to Austin with my kids to attend the Ex's goodbye party, and am so very glad I did. He was gracious and just glowing to see all the people who came to see him. Old friends and new. I was delighted to see his cousin Sally whom I hadn't seen for nearly 40 years. He is very gaunt and frail but just glowing with love for his family and friends, and especially for Gail, his wife. It made me happy just to be there and see that. I want to keep that picture in my mind whenever I think of him.

Thank you to all of you who went to see the Texan in the hospital while I was gone; he loved all the visits and the caring that you expressed.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Beautiful. Much love to you and all.