Friday, October 12, 2007

Good Gifts

Yesterday we received good news from the neurologist--no more tests, my brain should heal itself completely in 4-6 months, my stroke was caused by the arteriogram (a very rare occurrence, says he), it should not be repeated, that I am going to be completely OK! No extra medicine, no more anything! Hurrah! What a relief! I have really stewed about how I could continue to take care of The Texan if I went down again.

I realized this week what a different take I have on things from the average citizen. There was a story about a registered sex offender who had worked as a night janitor for 20 years for a local school district who was found dead in the boy's locker room with his pants down and a bag over his head. While the paper and the school district were horrified to find that the man had a past of criminal sex acts and had applied for a job under a false name, they are now fingerprinting everyone in sight. Everyone is saying "ain't it awful that such a person could come on the school campus at night."

Me, I feel really sorry for the man who had to resort to such means to get a job, found one where he never came into contact with children, and died trying to have an intense sexual experience... by himself! It seems to me that this poor guy was trying to do his best not to reoffend and succeeding at that! I don't have much sympathy for sexual offenders but, my gosh, this guy deserves some credit for trying to deal with his sexual problems in a non-offending way. I guess I have worked for Child Protective Services for too long.

No comments: